It has come to my attention that there is an inititive being pushed for ‘Meatless Mondays’, I find this idea to be fantastic. I am Argentine so it would be near blasphemy for me to completely cut out all meat but I do enjoy vegetarian meals and they form at least half of my total food intake.
Reasons to go meatless at least once a week:
- 20 vegetarians can live off the land required by one meat eater
- If all Americans became vegetarian, it would free enough grain to feed 600,000,000 people (the population of India)
- Due to overgrazing 850,000,000 people live on land threatened by desertification & over 230,000,000 already live on land so severely desertified that they are unable to sustain their existence & face imminent starvation
- 25% of Central america’s forests have been destroyed for cattle grazing since 1960
- The destruction of the rainforest by cattle farmers is destroying the lungs of the planet & reducing the worlds capacity to replenish our oxygen supply
- Vegetarians have a 20% lower rate of mortality from all causes (ie. they live longer & don’t get sick as often)
- Vegetarians have 24% reduced risk of getting heart disease & Vegans a 57% reduction (heart disease is the biggest killer in the UK accounting for 50% of deaths)
- Meat & dairy farming uses billions of gallons of oil to run tractors, fuel ships & lorries (to move animal feed & animals), pump billions of gallons of water to irrigate fields & run slaughterhouses, power refrigeration units to prevent the corpses from decomposing & to power sewage plants to clean up some of the pollution produced
- 70% of all grain is fed to animals
- Modern farming methods using growth hormones & artificial lighting mean that many chickens out grow their bones, resulting in fractured & broken legs
..and those are just a few. Lets help our planet and all the living creatures that inhabit it, as well as our future love spawns that may also want to enjoy all that it has to offer.
A link to yummy veggie recipes: